
The Wolf Ceremony As Told by Chief Dan George
I wanted to give something of my past to my grandson. So I took him into the woods, to a quiet spot.
Seated at my feet he listened as I told him of the powers that were given to each creature. He moved not a muscle as I explained how the woods had always provided us with food, homes, comfort, and religion.
He was awed when I related to him how the wolf became our guardian, and when I told him that I would sing the sacred wolf song over him, he was overjoyed. In my song, I appealed to the wolf to come and preside over us while I would perform the wolf ceremony so that the bondage between my grandson and the wolf would be lifelong.
I sang.
In my voice was the hope that clings to every heartbeat. I sang. In my words were the powers I inherited from my forefathers.
I sang.
In my cupped hands lay a spruce seed-- the link to creation.
I sang.
In my eyes sparkled love.
I sang.
And the song floated on the sun's rays from tree to tree. When I had ended, it was if the whole world listened with us to hear the wolf's reply. We waited a long time but none came.
Again I sang, humbly but as invitingly as I could, until my throat ached and my voice gave out. All of a sudden I realized why no wolves had heard my sacred song. There were none left!
My heart filled with tears. I could no longer give my grandson faith in the past, our past. At last I could whisper to him: "It is finished!"
"Can I go home now?" He asked, checking his watch to see if he would still be in time to catch his favorite program on TV.
I watched him disappear and wept in silence.
All is finished!
Reflection:
After reading the "Wolf Ceremony", I have come to realize that I have something in common with the Indian culture. No matter what culture you’re associated with anything that is important to you is hard to let go. That’s why it was difficult for the grandfather to loose hope on keeping his heritage and tradition alive. This short story expresses how a Native American, Chief Dan George, reacts to not being able to raise his grandson the way his ancestors were raised. He feels that their culture is disappearing and becoming a melting pot, which is when a culture gives up their way of life for another. I connected with this story because I could relate to the emotions that the grandfather experienced, because sometimes it’s hard to let things go. In his case, traditions, because they become apart of whom you are. I've come to apprehend that sometimes we have to let go and not dwell in the past, but at the same time remember it. That explains why it was important for him to tell his grandson the Indian myth because it helps keep his culture living. Likewise, when I have children I will certainly pass my family's traditions along to them. This story helps encourage me to never give up what I believe in. Also to be sure to always strive to keep my heritage apart of me and my family's life.
Dear Diary,
My Grandfather also tells me stories about his heritage. He says that many Indians were uncertain about the white men because they weren't use to a different culture living their homeland. Although, He says that our ancestors welcomed the white men into their villages. The Indians eventually concluded that they made a mistake by friendly welcoming them into our country, and especially for trusting them. Because they used our kindness to their advantage and disrespected our rights to our land. Being unfaithful to their promises, they slowly took away all of our entitlements to our native soil. Being naive cost my heritage to loose our land and dignity. After the Indians were sent away, thousands of my people died, and our heritage was to never be the same.
My Grandfather also tells me stories about his heritage. He says that many Indians were uncertain about the white men because they weren't use to a different culture living their homeland. Although, He says that our ancestors welcomed the white men into their villages. The Indians eventually concluded that they made a mistake by friendly welcoming them into our country, and especially for trusting them. Because they used our kindness to their advantage and disrespected our rights to our land. Being unfaithful to their promises, they slowly took away all of our entitlements to our native soil. Being naive cost my heritage to loose our land and dignity. After the Indians were sent away, thousands of my people died, and our heritage was to never be the same.
Thesis: In the short story “The Wolf Ceremony” a Native American, Chief Dan George is fighting to keep his heritage alive so that it will be remembered in the future. George uses repetition, symbolism, and metaphors, to convey a tone of hope that his culture to be apart of upcoming generation.
3 comments:
I really enjoyed the poem, and the reflections where clearly understood, although your diary entry wasn’t in character, it works perfectly when explaining what you felt.
Jasmine you reflection was great, you really showed that you understood the feeling of the author. You also showed that you connected with the author. In your diary you were suppose to write from the authors point of view, but what you did showed what you had learned and how you felt about the author.
jasmine
very nice design of page. i like your diary entry very much. however, you need a reflection section to precede the diary entry. Also you need an essential question.
Grade 85
Ms. Mic
Post a Comment