Reflection: After reading Equiano's Slave Narrative, I had sympathy for the African American slaves. I realized the pain that they suffered from not being able to freely live their lives. Not only did they loose their dignity, but they were separated from their love ones. They had to live in fear and work as hard as they could to insure their lives. They didn't get brakes nor did they get a good amount of food and sleep. The African Americans worked harder than any of us have ever had to and shed blood and sweat every day. The ones that did speak up for themselves were severely beaten and possibly even killed. Only a few slaves were fortunate to escape from slavery and even after they did they couldn't erase the memories of torture. This narrative made me thankful for my life and all the opportunities that I have. Dear Diary,
During the time Equiano was abducted I just immigrated to America. Right away I began to settle down and venture, in hopes to create a better life for myself. During my venturing I saw many men, woman, and children like Equiano being forced out of their villages to come to America. When I saw their facial expressions I realized that it hurt them to leave their homeland, and separate from their love ones. It dawned on me that I was getting an opportunity to freely live my life and the African Americans were paying the price for my freedom.
Unlike Equiano, many African Americans didn't get the privilege to buy their freedom. The opportunity was very scarce. In order to obtain freedom you had to work very had and have knowledge, which most slaves didn't have because they weren't allowed. This is because slave owners knew that if they educated their slaves they would have the potential to revolt against their master. Equiano was fortunate to have the knowledge to escape slavery and to have the choice of living his life the way he chose.
Excerpt: "I believe it is difficult for those who publish their own memoirs to escape the imputation of vanity. . . People generally think those memoirs only worthy to be read or remembered which abound in great striking events, those, in short, which in a high degree excite either admiration or pity; all others they consign to contempt or oblivion. It is therefore, I confess, not a little hazardous in a private and obscure individual, and a stranger too, thus to solicit the indulgent attention of the public, especially when I own I offer here the history of neither a saint, a hero, nor a tyrant. I believe there are few events in my life which have not happened to many; it is true the incidents of it are numerous, and, did I consider myself an European, I might say my sufferings were great; but when I compare my lot with that of most of my countrymen, I regard myself as a particular favorite of heaven, and acknowledge the mercies of Providence in every occurrence of my life. If, then, the following narrative does not appear sufficiently interesting to engage general attention, let my motive be some excuse for its publication."
http://www.janaedwards.com/AmericanLit.html
No comments:
Post a Comment